Thrifty Chic in Canada

Remember the post about my dough bowl with the blocks? Well, Janice from Canada emailed me and told me she was inspired to do the same under her coffee table. How sweet is that?

Don't you just love the whole room? I really like the mix of rustic with white. I really enjoy seeing what other people do on small budgets. Their "beadboard" is actually beadboard wallpaper, which surprises their guests. Could have fooled me too. Almost everything came from thrift stores or Kijiji, which is Canana's version of craigslist. Of course, the dog is one of my favorite features to the left of the room. :)

Look at her beautiful dining room!

She really wanted the Pottery Barn Queen Anne chairs but not at their going price, so they found these chairs at $25 each and her husband refinished them . So pretty, and really, just like the PB ones.

I love the wooden door in the background...it really pops against the white in the room.

She told me one of their thrifty tricks, is to collect Pottery Barn gift cards from people selling at a significant discount. That's how they got one of their rugs. Thanks for the tip! (I've been eyeing a lovely french wire hamper from there). She sewed the table runner, chair skirts and most of the pillows. I adore the slipcover on this chair.

I adore the chair.

Their chandelier was found on the side of the road. Can you believe it?! Best of all is the story behind her dishes. Her husband won them in a golf tournament! He jokes that it should make her appreciate all the time he spends at the driving range. That would surely help I think. :)

I loved learning about how it all came together in such an inexpensive way. Janice doesn't have a blog yet, but hopefully one day she'll start one and we'll get to see more.

Thanks Janice for sharing your beautiful rooms with all of us!

20 comments:

  1. rie, thanks for sharing this beautiful home! her dough bowl with blocks is perfect...this may be one of your trademarks! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing - what a beautiful home! Who finds a chandelier on the side of the road!!! I wish I did. I have a dough bowl too but it's a french bread one where it's long and skinny -
    I never thought about collecting gift cards - I'm going to check into that today! :)
    Have a blessed day!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her house is beautiful~ I love everything and agree with you on that precious pooch too! Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was so sweet of you to post my pictures, thank you so much Rie! I just discovered blogs recently, and as a new mother staying at home it has really helped me to feel connected to other women and to get lots of great ideas to make our home nice on a small budget. Thank you for your nice comments, this made my day!
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous home! Don't you just love us Canadians? I have one of those wooden bowls too. I just don't know where I put it!

    Cheers

    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love her style (as well as yours!) She's done a wonderful job working on a budget, that's right up my ally. :)

    -Kaela

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pics and beautiful style, I enjoyed this post. Keep up the good work!

    -Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for sharing! She has a beautiful home and has done it on a budget... even better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rie,


    Thanks for sharing such a beautiful space with us! I was also meaning to comment on those beautiful maps. I homeschooled for five years and loved maps also. I just moved into another house to downsize, so I've been busy. I have been wanting to comment more on your wonderful posts. Please keep sharing, I really enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous home. I am so glad that you shared it for her!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous home, it all looks so beautiful! I love that there is a story behind everything and that Janice has found cheaper similar items to what she has seen and created a similar look, I find that so inspiring. Thanks for sharing Janice and Rie ~ Wishing you both a lovely day ~ Tina x

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey, im monica...your newest follower.

    i found your blog via a friend of mine's blog/

    i love your bloggy blog!

    beautiful home you featured...im kinda jealous

    can't wait to read more. more. more!

    xo
    monica

    ReplyDelete
  13. That wooden door in the dining room did look gorgeous against the white! I love the dog, too!
    Your daughter,
    Paris

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great post. I love her decor-very pretty. I can't believe she got so many items from Kijiji and thrift stores and that the beadboard is wallpaper!

    I like to shop the thrift stores too and of course craigslist. Oh, BTW, craigslist is in Canada too, I lived in Toronto my whole adult life and used it often. Kijiji is available in the U.S. I have been finding so many great things on CL recently that I can't wait to transform :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing another home...beautiful! I love good stories behind beautiful touches.
    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a beautiful home, I just love it! So warm and cozy with the mix of wood and white!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is so lovely! There is a blog there for sure! I would love to see more.
    Ness xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing Janice's home with us.
    I LOVE it!!! It is one of my favorite! It has helped me decide to paint my chairs to go with my new farmhouse dining room table I am having made. Janice can't wait to see the blog ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Janice's home is beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing her photos.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...