A New Birthday Tradition

We've added a little something extra special at birthday time this year... an advent calendar to count down to birthday day. The idea is to fill each pocket with a little note from someone in the family. Each message will be something we appreciate about the birthday child. After reading their blessing for the day, the little birthday bear can move closer to the #1 spot on the calendar.



I was thinking of making my own calendar *until* I found the most wonderfully simple and beautiful advent wall hanging from a woman named Heather Shaw. She has an and Etsy shop called Pi'lo. Everything there is beautiful.


image courtesy Pi'lo

The hanging is linen with felt pockets, and is hung by a twig (included). Could it be any sweeter?
I was so thrilled to have found this calendar as it has all the elements I love. I couldn't wait to get it in the mail, and I was overjoyed when I received it!


I love the details she put into the packaging. Like the corrugated cardboard she used for wrapping.


The straw tie and stamped clothespin are other sweet touches.


And look who was peering up at me when I finally decided to open it up:


This sweet itty bitty bear.



He'll have many happy years of hopping from one pocket to another in anticipation of the big day.


Aside from being as cute as a button, this wall hanging is also beautifully made. The quality is outstanding and I couldn't be happier with my special purchase.

20 comments:

  1. This is beautiful...and such a sweet tradition! My kids eagerly await their birthday banner in the kitchen. I made them each one with colors they love, and things that reflect their personality. It makes their day a bit more special.
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. My son gets so excited about EVERY holiday. This would be perfect and so adaptable. We can change the item that is hopping to go with what we're counting down. Thank you for sharing this.

    By the way, I recently started reading your blog and you and your family seem like just the most beautiful people. Inspiring!

    Thank you!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a verry verry nice idee.
    and what a beautiful birth present!!
    have a nice evening
    Yolanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so adorable! I love the packaging too... What a nice way to celebrate a birthday!
    Health and happiness,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH wow..I don't know if I or my son would be more excited to see this rolled out every year. Love the idea....truly sweet and the messages...what treasured keepsakes. I truly adore all your ideas and the way the infuse your family with such precious memories. You are such an inspiration.

    Cheers~
    e

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet tradition. Your lucky children.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so sweet! thank you for sharing. we love holidays in our house and count down everyone! I just might have to get one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous Rie and what a special and sweet idea! Thanks for sharing the link to Heather's Etsy store, I will make sure I pop over to have a look:) Wishing you a wonderful day ~ Tina x

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a wonderful idea...we LOVE our Advent Calendar during the Christmas season..and we've also done something similar for Lent....love the idea of doing it for birthdays!

    Thanks Rie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that and I think everything in her shop is just plain beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! The packaging has me swooning!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic idea, and something your children will look back on as a special family tradition.
    Just found your blog...love it!
    Kerri x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely idea! Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautifully sweet. Love its simplicity and quiet homey-ness. Off to check out her site!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this idea is wonderful. Children will love to hear things written about them by their family, and also so good for the other children to stop and think about a message they want to pass on. Lots of thought and love all around. I love the Pilo site too. She has gorgeous simple things.

    Chania

    ReplyDelete
  16. so simple, so beautiful and so special! love that little bear. he needs a tiny party hat! ;)
    kathi

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a B E A U T I F U L new birthday tradition you've introduced!! And the countdown calendar is just lovely! So my taste and style too :).

    Take care,
    Nona

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is devine. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Ta from Australia.

    Beq
    http://beqdesign.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. We just investigated Pi'lo on etsy and are in love with most everything they have to offer.

    What a nice way to make birthdays even more special.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oops! Posted the comment in the wrong post.

    Oh goodness, this is so sweet! My youngest son's name is Behr (yes, like the paint). I have to look into getting one of these!!! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...