Chalk Paint Birthday

You probably know all about Annie Sloan’s chalk paint by now… it’s been reviewed and pictured through tutorials galore all over the decorating blogosphere.  I’m late to the party again, but I finally got a chance to try it out.

chalkpaint2

Because my three older girls and I share many of the same interests and passions, we are able to enjoy working and creating together.  So when I found out there was a chalk paint class nearby, I thought it would be the perfect birthday outing with my second daughter Haley.  The class was taught by Barbara at the Melville Trading Company… a terrific antique store in the quaint town of Mebane, NC.

MelvilleTradingPainting-with-Artist1

I’ve blogged before about how we try to give “tools” instead of toys for gifts, and I’ve gotten many emails asking for more examples.  In a nutshell, we try to think of gifts or trips that will teach them something new, further develop a skill, or create a lasting memory of time spent together. 

haleyHaley with her painted samples from class

This chalk paint class created both memories and new skills.  It turned out to be the gift that will keep on giving… since it has given Haley the motivation to start a little business for herself…refinishing some pieces and selling them.  Here’s her first piece listed on craigslist: 

chalkpaint7

Chalk paint is so simple to use, it’s actually quite ideal for a child.  There is no priming necessary, and no toxic fumes.  It also dries incredibly fast.  I really do think the finished result looks more professional and finished (in a distressed non-finished kind of way!). 

stool2

The stool was first painted with Annie Sloane’s Old White, the second coat painted with Paris Gray.  After some light distressing, we followed it with a clear wax.

Here is our table leg I originally painted with latex paint:

chalkpaint8

And here is a leg painted with chalk paint in Paris Gray:

chalkpaint5

I used the Annie Sloan clear wax after painting this leg, then used some Valspar antiquing glaze I had on hand to add some age.  I could have bought the Annie Sloan dark wax to give the same affect, but I had already blown my budget and couldn’t afford a second can of wax that day.  I think the antique glaze worked out pretty well. 

chalkpaint3

Above, on the left is chalk paint with clear wax, and on the right is chalk paint with clear wax and antique glaze.  It darkens it a bit and gives more dimension to the finish.  

A closer look of the latex painted leg:

chalkpaint9

And the chalk paint leg:

chalkpaint6

I’m so excited about this new medium, and I envision an abundance of projects in my future… and Haley’s future too.  :)

26 comments:

  1. Turned out beautiful... I cant wait to try the chaulk paint. That's awesome you get to enjoy this with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word...I live right outside Mebane! Had no idea you live close by! I love your blog! Email me...conoil@yahoo.com angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I guess nearby is relative. We are about an hour away. Close enough!

      Delete
  3. I have yet to try this paint, but have heard it is quite amazing!!! The furniture turned out lovely =) Xo ~Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so happy to find Annie Sloan's paint here too! (and not having to pay the hefty shipping costs) Please tell me that you checked out 'The Elegant Relic' antique store directly across the street from The Melville Trading Co. Lacy, the owner is delightful and it is filled with a perfectly edited mix of painted furniture and vintage decor. You've given me the push I need to paint my unsightly kitchen table. Take care, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! What a great store. I can't wait to go back and shop more. There were many things I had my eye on that day from several of the shops.

      Delete
  5. GREAT idea! What a fun day for your daughter and look how happy she is with her own piece for sale. GREAT post- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you give "experience" that last instead of toys that are broken and forgotten in days. I am creative and invite the neighborhood children and grandchildren in during the summer for "craft camp". I have no grandchildren yet, but I want to give them experiences they will remember long after they would a toy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats, Haley. You are beautiful and precious just like your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Looks amazing. I wonder if it is sold here in Australia...must go and have a google!
    Have a wonderful weekend Rie.
    Ness xx
    Marley & Lockyer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job , Haley! Keep up the good work.

    Happy Belated Birthday. You are beautiful.

    B.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so cool, i live in Hillsborough, and was at Melville just this last weekend! I bought my first can of Annie Sloan there too, and i love it! I think your gift idea of tools, and doing stuff together is amazing, and so smart. Your daughter is adorable too, and she did her own Annie Sloan project that looks great!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a fun birthday outing! I thought I was the last one to try the chalk paint, I am looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ASCP is the best!! It's so much fun to try out different techniques with it - and it's so forgiving! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have just started some projects with the ASCP; it is an exciting adventure!

    Xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm...she should check out setting up her own Etsy shop...
    I'm loving the paint!!!
    Blessings,
    Lexie N.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your idea of buying the children gifts that will increase their skills/talents.

    I do that somewhat but have never really considered classes.

    Thanks for the inspiration.

    I'm curious, how did you find that there would be a Annie Sloan paint class going on?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the new header! Tell us about that bathroom ( or is it a laundry room) sink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sink is from our old laundry room. I blogged about it...see the side bar. Thanks for the compliment! I felt I needed a change.

      Delete
  17. I have got to get myself some of that chalk paint. I only hear and see good things about it and I love seeing your daughter doing something she loves...so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. love what you did with your daughter...what a great way to celebrate birthdays and other celebrations..

    is mebane,nc near burlington, nc? my aunt and uncle live there, and I'm wondering if you're nearby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great birthday gift! I'll have to try out the chalk paint, too- I'm even later to the party than you, Rie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad to know that I am not the only one late to the party. Chalk paint looks like a dream to work with and I am dying to try it. How fun for your daughter to have her own business!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I knew you would love chalk paint! :) Can't wait to visit Raleigh and hang out with you again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks awesome! Did you add the glaze after you waxed, after buffing?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm even later to the party! I just discovered this paint last weekend at a store in Wilmington, NC. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...